Oh my. I’m just gobsmacked on this one. http://www.isfmf.com/2015-isfmf-winners/
My score for Drover’s Boy (Directed by Margaret McHugh) wins the Crystal Pine Award for best score in the shorts category. Some very awesome composers whose music I have grown up with are in this list and I am just truly humbled.
Once again I would like to thank the immensely talented cast and crew for putting this beautiful film together. Margaret, thanks for being such a fun director to work with and letting me explore the aural landscapes. Special mention goes to Ted Egan, whose song Drover’s Boy inspired the documentary. The score would not have come together without the help of my crazy good music team. Thank you again Geir Brillian for the wonderful mix and James Collins (who is a wonderful film composer as well) who played some very ethereal guitar on the documentary.
Also thanks to my lecturers at the Australian Film Television and Radio School Martin Armiger, Kirke Godfrey,Chris Gordon and Geir Brillian for their lessons and tips while I was crafting the piece.
Once more with feeling, I present the ending extract of Drover’s Boy.
Full List of winners and nominees below: Congrats to all.
CRYSTAL PINE, BEST ORIGINAL SCORE | FEATURE FILM
- UNDER THE SKIN – Mica Levi | UK
- BIRDMAN – Antonio Sanchez | USA
- 3:13 – Guillermo Guareschi | USA
- RELATOS SALVAJES (Wild Tales) – Gustavo Santaolalla | Argentina
- GRAND PIANO – Victor Reyes | Spain
- OCULUS – The Newton Brothers | USA
CRYSTAL PINE, BEST ORIGINAL SCORE | DOCUMENTARY
- THE SALT OF THE EARTH – Laurent Petitgand | Brazil, France
- VIRUNGA – Patrick Jonsson | Congo, UK
- FINDING VIVIAN MAIER – J. Ralph | USA
CRYSTAL PINE, BEST ORIGINAL SCORE | SHORT (live-action, animated, documentary)
- DROVER’S BOY – Yunyu Ong | Australia
- L’ART DES THANATIER (Monsieur Thanatier’s Artistry) – Olivier Calmel | France
- LE VENT DES REGRETS (Wind of Regrets) – Ivan Palomares | France
- BUFFALO RISING – Olivier Militon | France
- ESTEFAN – Alan Williams | USA
- EL CAMINO – Ivan Capillas | Spain
- TEDDYBEAR – Ros Gilman | Austria
SPECIAL CRYSTAL PINE, BEST ORIGINAL SCORE | FEATURE FILM
- INTERSTELLAR – Hans Zimmer
- THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL – Alexandre Desplat
- GODZILLA – Alexandre Desplat
- NIGHTCRAWLER – James Newton Howard
- GONE GIRL – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
- CALVARY – Patrick Cassidy
- PRIDE – Christopher Nightingale
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 – John Powell
- BIG HERO 6 – Henry Jackman
- SONG OF THE SEA – Bruno Coulais
- A MOST VIOLENT YEAR – Alex Ebert
- VISITORS – Philip Glass
THE ARTISTIC BOARD
Richard King, Randy Thom, Mark Dornford-May, John P. Corigliano, Jaco van Dormael, Ozren K. Glaser